United Nations Romanization Systems for Geographical Names.
Preliminary Report on Their Current Status. Version 1.3.
The report on the United Nations romanization systems for geographical names (version
1.2, November 1999) was originally presented as Working Paper No. 34 (and 34/Corr.) to the
20th Session of the United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN) held
in New York in January 2000. Subsequently it was decided to publish the report on the
Working Group's website, after incorporating all the corrections and notes made by experts
at the session. All changes to version 1.2 are separately listed. In addition the layout of the
report was modified so that each section for any specific language would constitute a separate
document. It was considered appropriate to add a header and subtitles in the language sections.
Also the font sizes were increased to improve the legibility of the characters.
The fonts used for the production of the non-Roman tables are thought to be in the public
domain (except for WordPerfect 6.1 fonts) and have been obtained through the Internet. The
Working Group has no rights to redistribute any of these fonts. Users interested in non-Roman
fonts should refer to the pages at SIL International, the Yamada Language Centre or Dr. Berlin's Foreign Language Fonts Archive.
List of non-Roman fonts used:
- Amharic - GečzEdit Amharic P by the Monotype Corporation plc.
- Arabic - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Armenian - Ararat
- Assamese - AdarshaLipiNormal by Proshika Computer Systems - PCS
- Bengali - AdarshaLipiNormal by Proshika Computer Systems - PCS
- Bulgarian - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Burmese - modification of Burmese 1_1
- Byelorussian - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Dzongkha - see Tibetan
- Georgian - Literaturuly-ITV by Alexander & Temuri Imnaishvili
- Greek - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Gujarati - GJ_Prachi Normal by Indian Futures & Options Pvt. Ltd. Bombay
- Hebrew - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Hindi (Devanagari) - DV_Divya Normal by Indian Futures & Options Pvt. Ltd.
- Japanese - PJ Hiragana & PJ Katakana
- Kannada - KD_Yogini Normal by Indian Futures & Options Pvt. Ltd. Bombay
- Kazakh - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Khmer - Anlongvill Khek by Khek Brothers
- Kirghiz - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Korean - modification of Sorawin Plain by Purple Systems (Rha Soohyun)
- Laotian - Alice5 Lao Normal
- Macedonian Cyrillic - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Malayalam - Keralax-Malayalam
- Maldivian - Faiy Light
- Marathi - see Hindi (Devanagari)
- Mongolian - Ulanbatar by Moses Hall
- Mongolian (Cyrillic) - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Nepali - see Hindi (Devanagari)
- Oriya - OR_Utkal Normal by Indian Futures & Options Pvt. Ltd. Bombay
- Pashto - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Persian - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Punjabi - Punjabi by Hardip Singh Pannu
- Russian - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Serbo-Croatian Cyrillic - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Sinhalese - aKandyNew + aKandyNew Supplement
- Tajik - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Tamil - Mylai-Sri Regular by K. Srinivasan
- Telugu - TL_Vijay Normal by Indian Futures & Options Pvt. Ltd. Bombay
- Tigrinya -GečzEdit Amharic P by the Monotype Corporation plc.
- Thai - Angsana New by Unity Progress 1992
- Tibetan - Ü-chan + Tibetan Modern A
- Turkmen - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Uighur - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts + addendum
- Ukrainian - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Urdu - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
- Uzbek - WordPerfect 6.1 fonts
The identification of the fonts here is not an endorsement by the Working Group or its members of the products or the manufacturers.
Use of the contents of the report is in every way encouraged and the Working Group
will be grateful for all comments, remarks and noted errors. It is anticipated that a new version of this report will be prepared for the Eighth United Nations Conference on the
Standardization of Geographical Names, to be held in Berlin in August 2002.
Reprinting of the report or parts of it will require the approval of the Working Group.
Also the Working Group should be informed if portions of the report are intended
to be copied and put on other servers.